Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 

Escapism - It's not just for television anymore

I've got a test on Wednesday, and I only started studying for it today (or rather yesterday, since it's already Tuesday). Naturally in situations like these, I do anything but study for the test. I eat, I read pointless things online, I hang out with friends, I try to help a good friend with her paper. Now I started something else - Looking at Graduate schools.

On first glance this seems like a good idea. "He's making plans for the future, trying to see the requirements and the subject matter." However, that's not likely. Even if we ignore for the moment that fact that I'll have another class next year to make up for the one I dropped this year, I don't want to study anymore, at least not in the forseeable future. I've had it with routines. I haven't had more than a few months' time off ever. And I do mean ever. The longest time period I had without any obligations was the summer vacation of high school, and even that was just a little under two and a half months.

It's all my friend's fault. She showed me all sorts of programs that she's interested in, including an odd British 4-year program for medicine to people who already had an undergraduate degree. I don't want to study anymore. I need my vacation, my down time. But when it comes to studying versus doing anything else? I'll take door number two, please.

Looking at all of those programs made me think whether I can get into them. I don't have all of my grades yet, and I'm a bit worried that they won't be good enough to get me to a good program if and when I do want to continue studying.

I found a really funny site, which was even somewhat related to my test. Energy Hog is a site about energy conservation. It has a kids' section with games, and and adults' section with information. Naturally I went for the games. Pretty silly games, and the sound effects were really weird. The class is called "Energy and Politics", and energy conservation is an issue that was brought up in some of the reading materials. I wanted to send a link to the teacher, but it just seemed stupider than I'm willing at this point.

I've got some more things to write that I just didn't feel like writing before. Maybe after I finish the test.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?