Saturday, July 01, 2006

 

The sound of silence

Apparently both overseas roommates left this week. Neither said so much as a goodbye. Both left some food in the cupboards. Weird, European food. The silence won't last long, I'm sure. New overseas students will come in soon enough. But for now, it's all nice and quiet. That is, unless you count the inane ramblings of one of the other roommates.

He's a second year Economics and Psychology student, and annoying about it. He keeps trying to annoy me by saying that I'll go back to studying Economics (which I dropped in favor of Political Science two years ago). He's also using whatever he thinks he knows about Psychology to annoy me further. A friend of mine, who's a third year Psychology student told me once that he doesn't understand it very well. Somehow, I'm not surprised.

He's very much like a little kid. He was looking for the paper towels, and I after he didn't see them (even though they were on the table, and I told him so), I went and gave it to him. He's like a four year old.

I'm not sure whether he's doing this on purpose or not, but whenever he comes out from his room and into the kitchen, he asks me the same thing - "What's going to happen?", to which I keep replying the same answer "It'll be good." It sounds weird in English, but it's a very common exchange in Hebrew. Sometimes he asks me "When?" and I reply "When we'll die."

I need to finish reading a book for a test on Monday, which I only started reading yesterday. Reading school books is pretty much the opposite of fun. Even when you read a fiction like I did for a class called "Literature and War", you couldn't really enjoy the books, because you knew that you had to concentrate and think about answers to the questions. It even made reading Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse-Five" a second time more of a chore than it should be, and Vonnegut is one of my most favourite authors, even though I discovered him just two years ago.

I need to get back to studying. Hopefully the test I took on Wednesday went ok. I don't remember if I wrote about it, but the teacher asked far too many questions about tiny details. After the test I did two things that I never do -- talked to other people about the answers, and checked to see how well I did (or didn't). Turns out I was pretty ok, although I don't remember exactly what I wrote to all the questions. Maybe if she sees that nobody (or almost nobody) got the questions right, she'll be willing to raise our grades, or ignore some of the questions. If not, there's always the possibility of taking the test again.

I've got some more to write, but I'll just leave it for another time.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?